Monday, January 13, 2014

Meet the #Author Monday - Misa Buckley

 http://misabuckley.com/series/amazing-grace/
Grace under Fire
 

Please tell us a bit about yourself
I'm a 40yo mum of five, married to a man obsessed by Land Rovers, living in the Manchester area of Britain. I started writing for publication in 2009, with my first story released in 2011. When I'm not writing, I'm usually knitting, reading or watching sci fi on TV.

Tell us about GRACE UNDER FIRE

What inspired you to write this particular story?
It started as a dream after a slightly drunken rewatch of Stargate SG1's Insiders. So... usual source, really. There's half a dozen references to other sci fi shows, not least of which was Doctor Who's The Poison Sky (though there's a different reason for my fire).


Which comes first for you – a character's looks, personality or name?
It varies. For ARCHANGEL (my previous release, which is UF), Gabriel's personality came first, then how he looked and finally his name. On the other hand, I'd got Grace's name and several titles in mind before I developed her character.

Any tips for aspiring authors?
Just write. Ignore the trends or what anyone tells you is THE thing. Write what you want, what excites you. Even if it's been done a thousand times before. There's no new stories, just new ways of telling them. So just write.

Questions for fun:
If you had the power of time travel, is there anything you would go back and change? Why/why not?
It's tempting to say that I'd go back and start writing sooner, but how would that change things now? I'm mostly happy with my career to date, so no, I'd not change anything.

What super-power would you choose?
The ability to transport myself so I could get to all the conventions I have to miss because of flight costs (and no, I wouldn't choose the power of flight – I'm scared of heights!)

If you could have three wishes, what would they be?
To have an agent, to have a publishing deal, and a decent lottery win.

Coffee, tea or wine?
Wine!

What is your favourite book?
Gah, I have so many! I love Pride And Prejudice, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Colour of Magic, Tigana, and every book in the Pern series.

Favourite genre and why?
To write? Sci fi, because that's what I grew up watching and still love (I'm a HUGE Doctor Who fan). But I read diversely across speculative genres and even some contemporary romance.

Favourite colour?
Deep blue.

Upcoming news and plans for the future?
GRACE UNDER FIRE is the first in a series, so keep an eye out for the following stories. ;)

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us!
Thank you for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation